Lock down garden project – before and after
In April 2020 as the pandemic was starting to take a hold, I was furloughed from my job. I decided to put the time to good use and get on with my garden and house renovation plans. My biggest task in the graden was my lawn! It was in an awful state, mainly moss, very uneven and patchy. The whole lot needed to come up and start all over.
I spent the first few weeks reorganising the garden. I have three gorgeous bantam chickens but although they are small, they had outgrown their run – they needed an exxtension. So I moved the run into the corner allowing space to double the size of their outdoor area. This done, I turned my attention to my poor lawn. It was in a bad way so I started digging it up – going about 10 inches deep! I really needed to improve the soil and drainage. Unfortunately I over did the digging and ended up flat on my back for three weeks in agony. I finally made a desperate call to my chiropractor who thankfully agreed to see me as an emergency case – a week later I was back on my feet and digging again!
Once the lawn was dug, soil improved and stamped on to level it off I sprinkled my grass seed as per the instructions on the box. A few weeks later I realised that I actually needed three times the quantity it stated! However, it finally started to grow and by May/June the new lawn was starting to look fab!
My vegetable beds (now smaller but higher) were growing and shed was painted. Finally I had a garden to be proud of!
Here are my before and after photos – you can see how bad the lawn was!!